Have you ever sat on your couch while reading a book, when all of a sudden a buzzing sound came flying around your ear? Are houseflies interrupting your quiet time? Well, with these exceedingly efficient housefly trap methods, you’ll never have to worry about being interrupted again.
DIY Fly Trap One: Homemade-Sugar Syrup Jar
House flies are attracted to sweet smells, which is why creating a sugar syrup jar is be the perfect way to capture these little critters.
For this fly trap you will need: a jar of your choice, sugar and water, a drop of dish soap and a paper cone.
Follow These Simple Steps:
- First cut a small hole on the paper cone, something just big enough for the fly to fly through but small enough it won’t be able to get back out.
- Pour the sugar syrup (combine equal parts sugar and water) into your jar, with a drop of dish soap so that the flies won’t just take a sip of syrup and fly out of the cone. After that, put the cone in the jar upside down, so that the hole is facing the inside of the jar.
- To make sure your trap is steady, place tape around the jar attaching to the cone so that the cone won’t sink in.
- Lastly, just wait for the flies to arrive! They’ll instantly be attracted to your contraption and soon your house flies will be inside that jar and out of your way.
DIY Fly Trap Two: Homemade-Vinegar Jar
Just like the last house fly trap, this contraption works because house flies are attracted to strong smells. A substitute for sugar syrup can be apple cider vinegar, with a plastic wrap covering on the jar if the cone didn’t work out for you.
You will need: a jar, a lid or plastic wrap, the apple cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap.
- First pour the apple cider vinegar inside the jar and add a drop of dish soap; this will prevent the flies from sitting on top of the vinegar and flying out when they’re done, just like in the sugar syrup method.
- Next poke small holes in the lid or on the plastic wrap and place it on top of the jar. For the plastic wrap you’ll need to either tape it on or put an elastic around the jar to hold it in place.
- Now all you have to do it wait and see all your house flies get caught into your DIY fly trap!
Readymade Fly Trap One: Fly Zapper
When using a fly zapper, make sure you’re extra cautious and it’s placed out of reach of young children. Fly zappers are commonly used to catch adult house flies so they can’t reproduce any more eggs.
There are two frequently used types of fly zappers:
- One is a hand-held device that is used by swatting the flies and shocking them instantly.
- The other is an outdoor lamp that attracts the flies and shocks them as they approach the light.
Both of these fly zappers can be bought at any local hardware store for a reasonable price and will remove house flies buzzing about your home.
Readymade Fly Trap Two: Pyrethrum Spray
Pyrethrum spray is one of the strongest insecticides available directly to consumers. House flies and many other types of insects are instantly paralyzed as soon as they come into contact with this pesticide.
While using Pyrethrum spray you be extra cautious, as it is a chemical. Using pyrethrum spray is suggested as a last resort, as it is highly toxic and doesn’t prevent more flies from coming inside your home. The intention of Pyrethrum spray is to get rid of house flies immediately, which means it may not be the best long-term solution to get rid of house flies.
If DIY house fly traps aren’t cutting it for you, Magical Pest offers services to remove house flies, their eggs and potential breeding grounds on your property.
We put an end to serious house fly problems and take measures to ensure they don’t return. To schedule an inspection or speak to one of our qualified exterminators call us at (905) 738- 6676.