Termites are social insects that are generally found in colonies, with each colony consisting from several hundred to several million members. Termites are detritivores, meaning they feed on dead plants and trees. All homes with organic construction materials can be a food source to termites. They are also referred to as the silent destroyers, as they as they can survive and thrive in our homes without any signs of infestation. The following blog shares signs of termites you can look for, as well as termite treatment options.
Signs Of Termites
Though termites can be difficult to spot, there are things you can keep an eye out for that may indicate a problem. Here are some of the most common signs of termites:
- Wooden materials that look affected by moisture and sound hollow when stepped on or tapped
- Fine powder of wood or other materials on floors
- Tiny wings around your home, indicating termite mating
- Mud tubes on walls or wood
Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to reduce the chance of a termite infestation in your home. Follow these steps:
- Avoid leaving moisture on any of wooden surfaces in your home
- Prevent stagnant water on roofs and in gardens
- Regularly check wooden surfaces for the signs of termites listed above
- Avoid direct contact between wood and soil
- Clean spills on wood surfaces immediately
- Maintain dryness in your garage and on porch
- Be extra vigilant for signs of termites during rainy seasons
Termite Treatment Options
If your preliminary inspection indicates that you may have termites your home, contact a professional pest control company to conduct a professional inspection and determine how to handle the situation.
It’s important to implement a termite treatment as soon as possible to minimize the damage they do to your home. A professional pest control company will suggest an appropriate termite treatment to ensure a safe and healthy environment in your house.
Contact Magical Pest now for assistance. For a free consultation, give us a call at (905) 738-6676.